Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Another haunting track from Henry Pedro


It seems a lot of people really felt Henry Pedro's "Midnight Sun" above all the other songs featured on the "Naija Sounds in Country & Western Music" mix... And to think that I almost left it off because I felt it didn't blend in with the other tracks and I thought a lot of people would find it crude, naive and boring! My friends, forgive me for the gross underestimation of your commendable scope and taste!

Anyway, there are a few lovely tracks on Pedro's Tender Loving LP and I've got another one here today:

Henry Pedro - "Angel"

I'll probably put up another at some point in the future, but as a bonus, here's the isolated "Midnight Sun."

Henry Pedro - "Midnight Sun"

10 comments:

Birdseed said...

Mmmm... That's almost Christmassy with the warm folksy guitar textures, the vibes and the church organ.

Comb & Razor said...

heh... it does kind of have that feeling, doesn't it? guess that just makes it all the more appropriate for the season...

Kris Tiner said...

Whoah - That intro is pulled directly from "Burning Of The Midnight Lamp"... Hendrix!

Yeah Henry!

Comb & Razor said...

oh wow... it is, isn't it?

didn't even notice that...

Anonymous said...

I hear a lot of "The Boxer" (1968) by Paul Simon.

Comb & Razor said...

you mean on "Midnight Sun"? yeah, i agree.

Anonymous said...

more henry pedro please

Anonymous said...

And I didn't know about Henry Pedro - why? The John Denver-esque fingerpicking of open major chords?

One of the things that never ceases to amaze me is how these guys learnt to play guitar strictly by ear and without any of the aids we have today. Just by pure dint of hardwork and word of mouth these guys mastered their craft and churned out great stuff like this from Henry Pedro

Jude

Comb & Razor said...

Yep... I believe the guitar here was performed by the great Nkono Teles.

Anonymous said...

Correct,I remember Seeing My Dad (Bassey-Black);Teach and Play Guiter Those Guys Back Then Was Really Good Ya Know....