Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Old school Naija types... Help me out please!

There's a song I've been trying to find for years now.

It was popular around 1985 or so. Had kind of a calypso or dance band highlife sound to it, but oddly enough it was a breakdance anthem at my school. (Long story...) It was sung by a man and a woman and the lyrics went

This kind of (wo)man, I never see o!
This kind of (wo)man, I never see!

I find am so tay I tire!
I find am for far away!
Na im I like, na im I go live with o!

This kind of (wo)man, I never see o!
This kind of (wo)man, I never see!


I have asked everybody and nobody seems to remember the song, but it was big for a minute, man... Somebody has got to know what I'm talking about!

In fact, I just realized that actor and comedian Patience Ozokwor (a.k.a. Mama G) recorded a cover version:



Anybody know who did the original? I remember hearing back in the day that the record actually was not Nigerian, but came from Sierra Leone or Cameroon or somewhere. I don't know for sure, though...

Anybody?

10 comments:

Heavylox said...

Man this is a catchy tune. This is gonna be in my head for days now.
-heavylox

Comb & Razor said...

hey... it's been stuck in my head for 23 years!

Anonymous said...

Dude, I can vaguely remember the song but one thing's for sure - it ain't Sierra Leonean. There would've been a lot of hoo-haa back home in Freetown in them days if it was...

Comb & Razor said...

ha! i was hoping you'd chime in with something, Kev! but if it isn't Sierra Leonean... hmmm....

i WILL find it!

Anonymous said...

You must find this song, otherwise it will kill me.

Anonymous said...

i KNOW this song!
its too catchy to ever forget.
i'll ask my old man.

Comb & Razor said...

ah... i hope you can come up with something, chi!

Anonymous said...

In 1985, I saw Osadebe perform this song on stage with some woman from Bendel state. I cannot remember the woman's name, but she was of middle age then and a little chubby.

It was wonderful, very hilarious, and etched in my memory because of the sexual nature of their movements and bantering. I hope this information helps.

Comb & Razor said...

hmmm... that's interesting, Leo!

the sound i have in my head is not one that i would necessarily associate with Osadebe, but this info still brings me a bit closer...

for one thing, i am getting a feeling that it might be an old standard which has been performed by many artists. i think i'm going to extend my search a bit further back... to the nineteen sixties!

Anonymous said...

The song was done by Stephen Osita Osadebe, featuring Patty Boulaye the young lad from Bendel State whom Leo Adiele said he saw perform with Osita Osadebe on Stage in 1985. I as about 10years old in '75 but got to know about the song because of Lady Patty Boulaye and my interest in that particular song.