Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Believe the hype: BRAND NEW WAYO out NOW/Launch party this Saturday!

So, as I was saying...

(or as I meant to be saying yesterday but didn't get a chance to come back to it)

...I had to insert a break and start this up as a new post so that you all can share this on your social networks without forcing people to slog through my emo rambling about why I took a break from blogging. So I should get right to the point, yes?



Yes! The first release from Comb & Razor Sound, BRAND NEW WAYO: FUNK, FAST TIMES AND NIGERIAN BOOGIE BADNESS 1979-1983, is out everywhere!



uhhhh... Don't bother going to www.combandrazor.com just yet, though... There's nothing there right now, but it's coming soon!

Alright, people... what else do I have to say? Is there any point in saying anything else at all since I know you've already stopped reading this, having rushed out of the house to your local record emporium to cop it? Or opened up a new browser window to visit Amazon, Dusty Groove, Sounds of the Universe, Turntable Lab, Juno, Tower, Best Buy, Light in the Attic, Rush Hour, or any other online store of your choice and are giddily typing in your credit card number right now?

Yeah, I know I'm totally talking to myself at this point, but if I thought that you were still reading this I'd probably want to gush about how this compilation is a loving tribute to Nigeria's Second Republic of 1979-83--a period when the country was still riding the highs of the oil boom and the music industry expanded exponentially, attracting some of the finest musicians from across the African continent, and about the lush, celebratory music they produced.

If you were still here, I'd mention that this all is explored in a big, 80-page magazine-stye booklet full of rare photos and vintage advertisements illustrating the prosperous, almost decadent zeitgeist of the era. Hell, I might even drop a few sample pages:




But you're already gone, so there's really no need for me to go blathering about any of that stuff. You'll have to find out for yourself when you get your copy!

Even though you're not here now, I'll tell you where you should be this Saturday night, May 21st... You should be at Zebulon at 258 Wythe Ave. in Brooklyn for the BRAND NEW WAYO release party featuring yours truly spinning alongside the legendary DJ Frank Gossner of Voodoo Funk fame!


As I'm sure you are well aware, Jesus is scheduled to return this Saturday, so if this is going to be our last night together, why don't we spend it getting down to some bad-ass African boogie funk, disco and modern soul?

Alas... I feel like the Rapture has occurred already because here I am all alone, while all you gentle readers have mysteriously disappeared into thin air! But at least I know that you've just rushed off to get your BRAND NEW WAYO... and unlike the Rapture, which will be followed by five months of torment for those left behind, you're looking forward to enjoying endless hours of fun(k)!

*Oh yes, I almost forgot: Frank and I will be featured on WNYU's A Downtown Affair on Friday night. Check it out!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey uchenna, I'm sure that there are a lot of us that follow this blog but sometimes lazy to comment(like me for one). But it does not negate the fact that u are doing a fantastic job.it still amazes me how your are able to lay hold of these classic naija music. If I was in brooklyn would have loved to attend but guess I will be meeting Jesus in Naija lol. All the best
M.C Edem

Comb & Razor said...

MCE! Thanks bro!

Aderemi said...

Nice!

TEA said...

Bought it, spun it, love it, and can't wait for your future releases!

www.fatheadphones.com

John B. said...

Love the "K-Tel Style" commercial!

Comb & Razor said...

Thanks JB!

Anonymous said...

Bought it and love it! great booklet also, thank you!
Baba

http://www.baba3000.com/

Comb & Razor said...

Now that's what I like to hear, Baba3000!

(I loved "Funk Upon a Time," by the way!)

Chad said...

I have a whole new level of respect for Francis Monkman now. Finally got my copy of the (CD) album over the weekend. Digging the tunes, still assimilating the amazing notes & historical materials. Tremendous alliteration in that opening paragraph, BTW. Somewhere, Stan Lee is smiling.

Comb & Razor said...

Excelsior, True Believer!

øשlqæda said...

honestly didn't know you had a blog here fer so many moons or published brand new wayo as digital release, so please excuse my dust & egg encrusted countenance, if at all possible. fer what it's worth, 130 downloads on the last i checked before it was deleted & i did intend to leave the post up simply fer promotional purposes as is my way, but you requested a full removal, so i saved it as a draft. good luck w/ yer endeavours & no hard feelings, i hope. the rip was passed my way & i excitedly spread the love without doing my research. owl apologies

Comb & Razor said...

øשlqæda -

No hard feelings at all! Like I commented in this post, I'm really not opposed to "illegal" sharing per se... I have my reservations but I realize that it's something that can't be stopped and it even has its uses.

My issue was with the fact that the file was uploaded onto 7 or 8 servers... That's just way too much proliferation at a time for an album that had been out for less than a month. And like you noted, we're selling the compilation digitally on iTunes so having high-quality digital files floating around every corner of the Internet is just not good for business. A lot has been invested in this project and I'm not the only stakeholder so I owe it to other people a well (included the artists the music was licensed from) to be at least a little protective, you know?

øשlqæda said...

sweet, brother. in fact the rip i got was in flac format, but i never post flac fer something that's in print & thusly converted the thing. such a perfect comp fer the weather we've been having out here california. looking forward to sloggin thru yer archives one of these daze, too. long live comb & razor sound

singaporeslang said...

Brilliant Post - Thanks for bringing this to everybody's attention! I am out on a hunt to get this and more

Anonymous said...

downloaded the album hunting the internet for some Nigerian Boogie...gave it a listen, then found a real copy at a record store in Los Angeles. Great stuff, thanks for putting this gem together.

Comb & Razor said...

Thanks for the support, mate!

Anonymous said...

congratulations guys, quality information you have given!!! best philips electric shavers