Thursday, March 26, 2009

Suku Suku System


George Iboroma--was one of the most popular proponents of 1970s dance band highlife--well, in Eastern Nigeria, anyway.

I still remember this particular record shaking up the grownups' parties even in the 1980s, when I was coming up. But even if I had forgotten how much play Iboroma's suku suku suku libi libi laba laba sound got, I need only look at my copy of the record, on which the grooves are worn clear through.

Listener beware: Skips and noise aplenty on this one. I regret I had to use the noise removal tool, adding some distortion too. And then the third track--one of the sweetest on the album--was so damaged that I had to leave it off altogether.

I'd usually not share a record in this state, but you can barely find a mention of George Iboroma online let alone any of this music, and I think he should be represented out there.

So until I can find more, this is what we've got.

This album is a two-fer; Side 2 features some Igbo highlife from The Young Timers Dance Band led by Helen WIlliams, one of the few woman highlife bandleaders I can think of.

(We'll hear some more from her later, and in better condition, too!)

GEORGE IBOROMA & HIS REINCARNATIONS - UNBEATABLE GEORGE IBOROMA & HIS REINCARNATIONS (TABANSI RECORDS, TRL 104A, 1975)

1. Philip Leonda
2. Sobra Suapri
3. Ina Bala Na

HELEN WILLIAMS & THE YOUNG TIMERS DANCE BAND - UKO DI (TABANSI RECORDS, TRL 104B, 1975)

1. Di Dim Uko
2. Amachie Uwa George
3. Amam Onye Mmadighi Mma

4 comments:

icastico said...

I wonder if you ran across this...

"...In Aba, the Enyimba City, George Iboroma became an overnight sensation from virtual obscurity with the release of Igbigi Minasin Ari and the subsequent issue of Fi Ye Mie Ari both delivered in Kalabari language. Backed by the famous Atomic Dance Band of Aba featuring ace guitarist Joe King Kolobo, Iboroma, like a meteor in the night sky, shot his way to the top of the chart. At his entry on the scene with Igbigi Minasin Ari, the unsuspecnng public attributed the song to Rex Lawson but in no time Iboroma’s name became a familiar one in the household of highlife music...."

More
http://www.thetidenews.com/article.aspx?qrDate=01/18/2008&qrTitle=Song%20for%20unsung%20sons%20of%20songs&qrColumn=ISSUES

Comb & Razor said...

Yep... and that's pretty much the only hit "George Iboroma" seems to get on Google (apart from the post where I mentioned him a few days ago, that is!)

It's interesting, though, how he was mistaken for Rex Lawson... You can hear the similarity. And I guess that also explains how popular he became after Lawson's death... I guess people really needed someone to fill that void!

Anonymous said...

This is completely random, but do you have an idea who is on the cover of Nigeria rock Special?

Comb & Razor said...

Anonymous -

That looks like Berkley Jones of BLO.